Welcome to the Collectible Corner blog!

Do you love strolling through flea markets and antique malls? Do you spend hours on the internet scrolling through collectibles categories at marketplaces such as Ebay and Bonanza? Do your palms get sweaty when you find something precious and rare for $1 at a garage sale? Are YOU a collector?
Then follow me! I'll show you tips and tricks for cleaning that oddity you found tucked away in Great-Aunt Polly's attic. I'll talk about how to find a deal and how to spot a fake. I'll share links to some interesting finds. But mostly, we'll just talk about collecting!

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Can Jewelry be Collectible? Of Course!

When I think of collectibles, jewelry isn't the first thing that comes to mind.  Or the second, or third, or ... you get the idea.  But sales of vintage and antique pieces have stayed strong during the recession, and I'm one of those buyers.  Vintage pieces from Coro, Eisenberg and the like are beautifully designed and the materials they were made from are in my opinion far superior to what is used in the construction of costume jewelry today.

What REALLY intrigues me, though, and where I spend the bulk of my bling allowance, is the artistic, one of a kind hand crafted jewelry that has become so widely available thanks to sites like Etsy and Bonanza.  There are some extremely talented jewelry artists out there, and they are crafting some amazing collectible one of a kind pieces.

A subset of those artisans are those who re-purpose vintage pieces, utilizing materials from the past to  craft beautiful, new and unique items..  I've only recently  come to appreciate their efforts, and the more I see the more I love them.

I received this beauty as a gift recently.  Titled "The Queen of Bronze", created by Bonanza seller Cutethings6 I adore this necklace!  From what she calls her "Newtiques" collection, Laurie at Cutethings6 recycled a piece of a chocolate bronze stone  framed in gold with a crown on top and clear rhinestone, and layered it with a Vintage chunk of wood, and 2 filigree pieces. One is gold and one is bronze.  She then hung threaded wood beads and gold spacers, then attached them to a bronze link chain with a lobster clasp. 

I received the necklace as a "Secret Santa" gift, and since I had put it on my Bonanza "Wish List" I knew who the seller was. I contacted her right away to thank her for such a beautiful piece.  A nicer person you won't find!  I'm glad I took the time to drop her a note, not only did I get a stunning piece of jewelry but I made a new friend!

She calls the product line "Newtiques", a blending of new and antique/vintage items, artfully put together to make a one of a kind piece.  She has a unique talent that I can't help but appreciate.  Here are a couple of other pieces she currently has listed in her Bonanza booth:

Dark Romance

Creamy Moon
If you like owning unique, one of a kind bling be sure to stop by and visit Laurie at http://www.bonanza.com/Cutethings6

5 comments:

  1. OMG What a beautiful testimonial! Thank you so much for having me as a featured artisan on your blog.
    I was so pleased to hear from you after you received your "Secret Santa" gift, and that you love your new piece!
    Upcycling jewelry is a great passion of mine, and it's always rewarding to hear that others appreciate my creativity!
    I look forward to reading your posts in the future and hope that we stay in touch in the meantime.
    Thanks again,
    Laurie @ cutethings6

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just had to say, this is a beautiful blog and Im now following you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You caught my eye with your first sentence. Great job and I am now following. I also think you have a fantastic idea of helping other collectors. Way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome post!!! Jewelry isn't the first thing I would think of as being a collectible either, but it def is. Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the jewelry pieces you showed in your blog. It is worth a trip to see her other work. Great job writing this!

    ReplyDelete

Visitors