Welcome to the Collectible Corner blog!

Do you love strolling through flea markets and antique malls? Do you spend hours on the internet scrolling through collectibles categories at marketplaces such as Ebay and Bonanza? Do your palms get sweaty when you find something precious and rare for $1 at a garage sale? Are YOU a collector?
Then follow me! I'll show you tips and tricks for cleaning that oddity you found tucked away in Great-Aunt Polly's attic. I'll talk about how to find a deal and how to spot a fake. I'll share links to some interesting finds. But mostly, we'll just talk about collecting!

Saturday, November 27, 2010

Vintage Cast Iron Skillets

My mother was a Southerner, growing up in Memphis TN.  Her entire family lived in that area.  Even though I was raised in Western New York, Southern food traditions were part and parcel of my youth.  Our annual trek southward at Easter time was something I looked forward to every year, not just to see my mom's family but to eat my grandmother's food.  Lordy that woman could cook!

She was old school, that girl.  Every morning up before the rest of us and in the kitchen, putting together homemade biscuits and gravy, cornbread, sausage, eggs, bacon ..  I've just gained 5 pounds thinking about it!

And after breakfast was done, she'd clean up and pull out her biggest cast iron skillet to get ready for lunch - which was really dinner, the largest meal of the day and one that brought family from all over the area to her table on weekends.  Oh man, Southern fried chicken from a cast iron skillet!


But I digress.  My grandmother cooked everything in cast iron, and I think that's one of the reasons it all tasted soooo good. 

If you collect those old dears, you know what I'm talking about.  Most people don't collect cast iron to let it sit and gather dust.  It's a usable collectible that can't be beat for bringing back fond memories on a daily basis.

Griswold and Wagner are the most recognizable brands, although there were other manufacturers out there.  Finding one that you like and can put to use means looking for pieces that have no repairs, no paint, no flaking or pitting.  Don't be put off by rust or staining, though, as cleaning and re-seasoning will make them look practically new!

Dating your cookware isn't as tricky as you think.  For instance, if you turn over the pan and see "Erie", what you have is a Griswold that was made sometime between 1865 and 1909.  After that date the company began using their name as a marker instead of the location of manufacture.   A heat ring on the bottom of the pan (sometimes also referred to as a smoke or fire ring) means it's an early model.  Wagner stopped using a heat ring in 1959.


Here's a helpful link to cleaning/re-seasoning your treasure:  http://www.panman.com/cleaning.html But sorry, you don't get to have my grandma's fried chicken recipe!

Happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Visitors